Care of Stone
GENERAL GUIDE TO CARE OF STONE PRODUCTS
Given stone is a natural product, variations in colour and texture may occur. It is the customer’s responsibility to inspect the material prior to commencing installation to check the colour, veining, thickness, sizing and finish of the product.
Absolutely no claims will be accepted for any reason after the material is installed.
- Installation is the responsibility of the customer. eStone Direct accepts no liability or responsibility for the installation of the product.
- Responsibility of the product is transferred to the customer once the product is collected from our warehouse by the customer or transport company. You can request liability insurance for the freight of your materials prior to purchasing at an additional cost.
- The manufacturer’s and suppliers liability is limited to replacement of product only, and does not include application/installation or removal costs.
- Any complaints relating to the delivered product must be submitted in writing to eStone Direct within 14 days of delivery.
Prior to Installation
- All products must be inspected prior to being installed.
- It is recommended the product is kept under cover prior to installation to keep product dry.
- Products are often wet at the point of production and then packed very tightly. The Products may not be 100% dry until unpacked and will often lighten in colour as they dry. Dry tiles are necessary prior to installation.
- Prior to installation, ensure batches of stone are shuffled and mixed to achieve evenness in distribution of any colour variation. This will mean opening all crates
or pallets supplied prior to installation.
- The customer should consider pre sealing products prior to installation as this will assist help with the cleaning and sealing of the product upon completion of the project.
- It is normal for natural stone to have some minor nicks along the edge of the product created during the manufacturing process.
- Natural split tiles may often differ slightly in their thickness and should be either graded. Take consideration of the thickness prior to installing.
- Dimensions listed are nominal as slight variation in size and thickness can occur
with most natural material.
Installation & General Information
- We recommend using white cement and white washed sand in your mortar mix for all products, particularly lighter coloured stones which may be translucent.
- Ensure good commercial quality laying practices are adopted including cleaning off any residue or mortar stains as you go.
- Control joints should be installed in accordance with the relevant building code.
- Natural Stones, particularly igneous products (formed from volcanic eruptions – Granite & Basalt), inherently have cats paws, veining and lines that may appear on the surface of the stone. These characteristics are normal and are considered part of the stone. Often these characteristics are only visible during the drying process i.e. when there is moisture in the stone. Providing these natural characteristics do not affect the structural integrity of the stone, the product should be laid and the natural variations form part of the natural beauty of the stone.
- Cleaning: Use a cleaning agent suitable for the natural stone purchased. DO NOT use hydrochloric acid as your cleaning agent unless directed.
- Sealing: It is recommended you seal your natural stone products to obtain full performance. Products laid adjacent to a pool may require special attention.
- Please contact eStone Direct for further hints and tips, and to clarify any further queries prior to laying the stone.
Please click here to download our Wall Cladding Installation Guide